Thursday, August 2, 2007

sister city

I really have to start posting more frequently.

I got back from camp last Friday. It was awesome and crazy, and exhausting, and exhilarating and emotional. Trying to articulate everything that the week was and meant is going to take more reflection than my current pace of life here in New York will allow. I hope to have the time and the brainpower to revisit my experience when I am back in Vancouver next week. This much I do know: it was good for my soul, and once more, Camp Winfield provided more for me than I could ever return.

Kyle arrived back in Vancouver about 7 hours after I did on Friday night, and proceeded to experience the effects of a certain gastrointestinal virus in full force throughout the night. This resulted in a very tired, and fairly dysfunctional day for both of us on Saturday, but we did manage to get ourselves ready for the big apple for which we were to depart the next morning.

We were both flying on points, and Kyle was added onto the trip later, so we were flying separately. I was to arrive at JFK a couple hours before him, so we planned that I would take all of our luggage in an effort to expedite our airport exit. I ended up arriving at JFK after Kyle with none of our luggage. The only thing that made me feel a little better about the situation was that in fact no one on my entire flight had their luggage. Due in small part to weather and in large part to a miscommunication between pilots and fuel guys that resulted in 1200kg of extra fuel being loaded onto the plane, and all the luggage was left in Calgary. Another example of why travel plans should really be considered travel notions.

It was great to see Mom and Alex again, and to see their Manhattan pad. We have had a great time so far visiting this busy and interesting city. Will post the sights we have seen tomorrow.

No comments: