“I woke up this morning and it was the last day again. But today I didn’t have to wear “professional clothes”, or write and exam, or ask for references. Rather, today I was required to don my sandals and my sunscreen along with my uniform tee-shirt, my examination was one of my own values, and my referencing was to everything I have learned during this camp session, and during this year...”
-From my journal on the last day of camp - August 2008
-From my journal on the last day of camp - August 2008
Every time I have been to Camp, the campers, staff and environment provide me with a stimulus for personal growth and reflections on life that no other experience in my life has created. It never fails to be a grueling, intoxicating, in-your-face reminder of the positivity of the human spirit, and I predictably gain more from camp than I have ever left behind. This is an amazing and humbling experience. Before I left I had no doubts, nor do I have any now that the exhaustion and exhilaration that camp provides inspires me to be a better friend, colleague and care provider.
I just wish that the whole world could run like camp - where everyone is accepted for who they are and included in whatever capacity they can be. And if you feel like you need to wear a cape one day to feel a little more super – why not! I think I should start carrying one in my hospital bag.
No comments:
Post a Comment