Thursday, January 22, 2009

change. stat.

I watched the inauguration on Tuesday morning, and, as did many other people who have minimal a understanding of politics and absolutely no personal connection to Barack Obama, I felt proud. Proud and lucky I would say.

As I stood watching the program in the middle of the Short Term Geriatric Assessment Unit (STAT), I realized what a reflective group of people I was sharing the historic moment with. The group consisted of: myself (a half black, half caucasian medical student); a black nurse in her sixties; two white women well over 80 who are geriatric patients - one with mental health issues and the other with special needs she has had since childhood; an Asian immigrant in her thirties who worked as kitchen staff; and Indian immigrant in her forties who worked as cleaning staff, and a doctor of Middle Eastern descent. All of us were equally curious and excited, and I realized that the American democratic system, whatever its strengths and pitfalls, has produced a president who is inspiring for such a diverse population that he has world listening with hopeful ears. He has already created positive change by virtue of his accomplishment.

The inauguration of President Obama will be added to my list of "World Affairs that I Remember Exactly Where I Was and What I was Doing as I Watched Them Unfold" along with, September 11, Princess Diana's Death, Columbine, and the Oaklahoma City Bombing.

This one is a positive memory.

No comments: